Cucumber rolls are a sushi classic—easy to make, cool, and refreshing, these bite-sized treats are the perfect snack to keep you going through the day! Imagine the tart vinegared rice dancing over your taste buds, soothed away by the cool watery crunch of cucumber. Delicious!
Now imagine a one-ton cucumber roll raining from the sky and narrowly missing your tiny, adolescent body, putting you in serious danger and possibly making you pee your pants.
NOT SO NICE, NOW, IS IT?
Which is exactly what makes this scene from Sarazanmai so hilarious! Enta mistakenly uses a wish to order up a lifetime supply of cucumber roll, which he receives in this unorthodox manner. Cucumbers are traditionally a kappa’s favorite thing to eat, so it makes sense that Keppi the Kappa would have no problem summoning such a thing out of thin air. What makes this scene so special is that it teaches us a few things: 1) You may not always get what you wish for in the most straight-forward manner and 2) Keppi is less concerned with the safety of the boys than he is with fulfilling his obligations.
Sound like someone else we’ve met before, who also gives magical powers to a group of kids? What was the name….Kappi? Kewpie? Kubei? Well, whatever the case may be, the recipe I have for you below, for cucumber or cucumber and avocado rolls will soothe away any false promises your magical companions make. Cool, refreshing, and not giant, these rolls are the perfect snack on a hot day!
Watch the video below for step-by-step instructions!
- 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3 cups White Rice cooked
- Nori Sheets
- 1 Cucumber peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado peeled and thinly sliced
- Cook rice. While cooking, combine the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a pan, heat on low until sugar and salt dissolve, and set aside.
- As soon as the rice is done, fluff with a rice paddle making slicing motions, and sprinkle over as much sushi vinegar as desired. Mix through with slicing motions of your rice paddle.
- On a sushi mat, lay out a slice of nori. Cover in an even layer of rice, leaving the final inch furthest from you free of rice. Lay down slices of cucumbers, and then roll tightly, using the sushi mat to guide your actions.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients, adding in avocado as desired for a creamy taste on the original cucumber roll.
- Slice all rolls with a sharp knife, and enjoy with wasabi and soy sauce.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Check in next week for another recipe, and to check out more anime food recipes, visit my blog. If you have any questions or comments, leave them below! I recently got a Twitter, so you can follow me at @yumpenguinsnack if you would like, and DEFINITELY feel free to send me food requests! My Tumblr is yumpenguinsnacks.tumblr.com. Find me on Youtube for more video tutorials! Enjoy the food, and if you decide to recreate this dish, show me pics! 😀